Want to get into Road Cycling?
Well you have come to the right place. The Canberra Cycling Club (CCC) is pleased to offer the 2017 Getting Started in Cycling & Introduction to Racing program, The Canberra Cycling Club is the force behind the very successful Summer Criterium Series. In response to this and to help address a growing need for entry level cycling & racing skills, CCC is pleased to team up with one of Canberra’s highly regarded cycling coaches, to offer a five week cycling program for new and developing cyclists.
What a great way to finish off the year, with some motivation to ride with like-minded people and to hopefully set some goals before the Christmas festivities. Who knows…You might just get hooked!
The CCC Getting Started in Cycling Program includes five sessions and is scheduled to commence on 14th November 2017. Over the 5 sessions you will be provided instruction on bike road safety, bunch riding, bike handling skills, race tactics, and team training. The program is designed to assist new and developing riders in acquiring the skills they need to begin cycling in bunches both on the road and in competitive situations. For those keen to capitalise on their new skills, there will be opportunities at the completion of the program to be introduced to some of the many regular Canberra bunch rides or be shown the ropes at the criterium series, by a member of the Canberra Cycling Club.
The program will run for 5 weeks with coaching instruction provided by nationally recognised coach Sian Mulholland. Sian will take the intimate group through a many and varied skill development program designed to bring you out the other end as a confident and safe cyclist.
With the popular CCC Summer Criterium Series on the brink of commencement, the Getting Started in Cycling program will provide a great opportunity to acquire the skills you will need for an entry into this type of racing. For further information visit the Canberra Cycling Club webpage.
What you need
As a minimum you will require
- A road bike with standard drop bars and pedals with cleats,
- A Standard Australia helmet,
- Decent front and rear lights
- Warm exercise clothing (In may still be cool in the mornings)
- Cycling Australia License (see below)
The cost of the program will be $95.00 and represents excellent value.
The costs will cover the following:
- all coaching (5 sessions, one per week for 5 weeks)
- Canberra Cycling Club Cap and drink bottle
- Opportunities for extra bunch rides with experienced club riders, for those keen to push themselves towards the end of the program
- To take on this offer, you are required to be a current Canberra Cycling Club Member with a current Cycling Australia license (either a Ride+ or Race category) or join Canberra Cycling Club and take on a Cycling Australia license (either a Ride+ or Race category) through the Cycling Australia website (http://www.cycling.org.au/). You will be required to bring your license (or proof thereof) to the first session.
The sessions will be run from 6:00 am till approximately 7:15 am every Tuesday morning. Each week all participants will meet at the CIT Bruce carpark at the rear of the complex, this location has many options to challenge the participants and allows many skills/techniques to be acquired during the programme. Location link will be provided prior to the course commencing. Please be aware that cycling in inclement weather is not ideal and coaching sessions may need to be re-arranged in light of this. Changes in times and venues will be communicated via SMS or other appropriate means either the evening before or by 5:30am on the morning of the session.
How to become a part of this exciting program?
If you would like to know more information about the Program, email the Novice Program coordinator (Rod Bates) at [email protected]
Or sign up straight away by completing the registration process using the link below;
NOTE: This program is limited to 15 participants, your place is not reserved until we’ve received your registration forms and confirmed payment.